Print this page



U16 Boys: Durham 2 North Yorkshire 3

Durham knocked out of national competition

Posted by: allan

For the second time in two weeks North Yorkshire travelled to Durham and gained a narrow one goal victory over the host county. This time North Yorkshire gained their win in the ESFA U16 Boys Inter-county Trophy of which North Yorkshire were the 2015-16 finalists.

The kick off was delayed slightly to allow the warmth of the autumn sun to melt the overnight frost.

North Yorkshire had an opportunity to open their account in the 1st minute when a poor Durham pass, in their own half, was seized upon by Jobe Creeney. Having successfully advanced into a good position Creeney’s poor shot was easily dealt with.

For the next 20 minutes the majority of play took place in midfield as both sides tried to gain an advantage.

Durham took the lead in the 21st minute. A clearance from North Yorkshire was knocked back towards the danger area by Jack Howe where Kaleb Young was positioned. Young shrugged off a number of challenges before sliding the ball underneath the advancing keeper.

This setback spurred North Yorkshire on and they were on level terms 6 minutes later when Michael Hodgson rose above the home defence to head home an accurate cross from Mason Sheridan- Hawley.

Durham were fortunate not to concede a goal shortly before the half time whistle. A North Yorkshire corner was cleared only as far as Jobe Creeney lurking on the edge of the penalty area. His shot was parried by James Thorpe. Liam Barnes, covering the behind goalkeeper, made sure the scores remained level by clearing his goal line.

Durham regained the lead a minute after the interval. First good play from James Thompson gave Kaleb Young the opportunity to shoot. The shot from Young was not held by the North Yorkshire keeper and Thompson, following up, scored with ease.

North Yorkshire were again quickly on the offensive and were unlucky when a header from a corner hit Jonny Langley who was standing on the goal line.

The visitors were rewarded for their positive approach in the 46th minute. Following an unsuccessful raid down the Durham left the ball was cleared as far as right back Hugh English, in an advanced position. He composed himself before unleashing a brilliant strike which the Durham keeper had no chance of stopping.

Jack Howe almost made it 3-2 to the home team but his left footed shot from 30m hit the crossbar.

In the 51st minute North Yorkshire captured the lead. A cross from Dan Ward found Dylan Muggleson-Forbes who hit the ball on the turn. Jacob Bramley managed to get a hand to the ball but could not prevent it from rolling into the net.

Durham had two opportunities to equalise but North Yorkshire’s goalkeeper, Mark Walker, was equal to the task.

With this win, North Yorkshire have now recorded three consecutive victories over Durham.


  • James Thorpe (Darlington SFA)
  • Jack Howe (East Durham SFA), Liam Barnes (Sunderland SFA), Aidan O’Hara (Bishop Auckland SFA), Jonny Langley (Sunderland SFA)
  • Jordan Patterson (Chester-le-Street SFA), Henry Dorwood (Sunderland SFA), Jak Crocher (Bishop Auckland SFA), Alfie Peart (Bishop Auckland SFA)
  • Kaleb Young (Gateshead SFA), James Thompson (Sunderland SFA)

Substitutes used: Jacob Bramley (Chester-le-Street SFA), Daniel Ferguson (Bishop Auckland SFA)

Next page: DCSFA Officers