Print this page



U18s: Durham 5 North Yorkshire 1

Durham move into second position

Posted by: allan

Durham U18s put the narrow defeat against Cleveland well and truly behind them with a resounding 5-1 victory over a hard-working North Yorkshire side; scoring all the goals in the process!

With the kick off put back 30 minutes due to a frozen surface Durham were slow starters for the second game running and were pressed back more than in previous games during the opening 20 minutes. The defensive line up of Tom Joyce, Trent McMenam, Callum Webster and Nathan Kett had to cover some ground and Kieran Stoker’s excellent handling was evident in the face of the frosted conditions. The difficult and uneven surface was not conducive to playing good football and both sides were guilty of squandering possession; the final ball always proving elusive! Durham eventually played their way into the game and took the lead when Jay Redman finished off a piece of combination play – a fine way to celebrate his 18th birthday. Dan Maddison made it 2-0 shortly after and this was just the cushion that needed to give them the confidence to produce a spell of easier flowing football and controlling the game more effectively as they reached the half way stage.

After the half time break Durham brought the pace and movement of Jak Hanson into their front line and he immediately had an impact by creating several chances for himself and his strike partner Maddison. The midfield trio of Luke Bailey, Aaron Duell and Dan Mitchell were firmly settled into their rhythm and the Durham team were running the Yorkshire lads ragged at this stage. Hanson combined with sub Kyle Davison down the right-hand side to play a ball in for Maddison to get his second and Durham’s third and Mitchell played a perfect pass down the centre channel to find Maddison who kept his cool to claim his hat trick and to effectively put the points in the bag. Redman and Hanson continued to probe and more goals were always on the cards. Hanson forced a good save from the feet of North Yorkshire keeper Jordan Harding and the keeper tipped over a 25-yard free kick from Mitchell. Bailey went close after some intricate footwork took him into the penalty area but it was a slip by North Yorkshire defender Pete Parvin, who fell victim to the icy conditions, which allowed Mitchell in and he rounded off the scoring by accelerating forward and slotting the ball under Harding for Durham’s fifth goal.

While Durham were worthy winners, sandwiched in between their second half goals, the ever-dependable Nathan Kett planted a header past his own keeper Stoker to give Yorkshire a consolation goal and Yorkshire’s lively midfielder Josh Pierce struck a 30 yarder which cannoned off the bar and was cleared by the alert Callum Webster. Throughout the game, Durham were again forced to work hard and had to prove resilient and committed but the quality of their play was evident on several occasions and when they produced periods of good play they got their rewards.

Next game for the U18s is the national trophy tie against Cumbria on Saturday 3rd December at Chester-le-Street Riverside ko 11am.


  • Kieran Stoker (Sunderland College)
  • Tom Joyce (St Thomas More RC), Trent McMenam (New College, Durham), Nathan Kett (QE College, Darlington), Callum Webster (Carmel College)
  • Aaron Duell (Monkwearmouth), Dan Mitchell (St Aidan’s Catholic Academy), Luke Bailey (St John’s RC), Jayven Redman (Sunderland College)
  • Andrei Ardelean (New College, Durham), Dan Maddison (St Joseph’s Catholic Academy)
  • Substitutes used: Jak Hanson (Gateshead College), Billy Hall (St Bede’s RC, Lanchester), Kyle Davidson (Carmel College)

Next page: DCSFA Officers