Print this page



U14 Girls: Greater Manchester 4 Durham 0

Durham beaten in National 1st round

Posted by: allan

Durham were knocked out of the ESFA U14 Girls Inter-county Trophy following a first round defeat at the hands of Greater Manchester when the two sides met at the Platt Lane Complex.

As the game was being played on Armistice Day players, officials and spectators observed a minute’s silence before kick-off.

Both teams began in a positive manner with Durham shading the early skirmishes.

Upon Durham losing possession in midfield Greater Manchester quickly advanced into the visitors’ penalty area when several attempts were made on goal in quick succession. On each occasion the visitors managed to get bodies in the way to prevent a goal from being scored.

Durham responded when Shannon Galbraith won the ball and successfully found Drew Turner whose shot was well saved by Khiara Keating.

Durham fell behind in the 12th minute when the home team capitalised upon an error from a goal kick taken by the visitors.

Although Greater Manchester were dominating possession Durham were still capable of causing anxiety for the home team. In the 25th minute Khiara Keating demonstrated her goalkeeping ability when she confidently held a very good 20m strike from Amy Elliott.

Greater Manchester had the ball in the net on the 27th minute but was disallowed due to the “goalscorer” being offside.

With half time only a minute away Greater Manchester went into the break on a high. Following good work down the right an excellent pass, which split the Durham defence, gave the Greater Manchester forward a simple opportunity to make it 2-0.

Seven minutes after the interval Greater Manchester were, once again, suitably rewarded for the play. After good, crisp passing across midfield the ball reached the full back overlapping down the right and she splendidly drilled the ball home.

Durham were really up against the odds 8 minutes later. This time, following another good passing sequence down the left space was created for an unstoppable strike from distance to make it 4-0.

Durham then had a 10-minute spell when they could have reduced the deficit but were denied each time. First, following a corner, Rebecca Bell had a super shot superbly tipped over the crossbar by Khiara Keating. Next, from a free kick on halfway by Mia Gibbon which found Chloe Wymer running in from the right, but Chloe’s guided attempt was just wide of the target. Finally, Chloe Wymer was just beaten to a long ball by the advancing Khiara Keating.

As the final whistle approached Greater Manchester twice came very close to scoring but on each occasion the ball missed the goal by centimetres.

Greater Manchester deserved their victory but Durham never gave up and were disappointed that their efforts were not rewarded with a goal.

Next page: DCSFA Officers