Categories: General
      Date: 11/03/18
     Title: U18s: North Yorkshire 3 Durham 4

Durham gain victory with a late winner

After a lengthy lay-off and cancellations due to the inclement weather Durham got back to winning ways by outscoring North Yorkshire by the odd goal in a 7-goal thriller.

Durham’s game plan to start the game at a high tempo paid immediate dividends when they got off to an excellent start. Captain Joe Blackbourne played an excellent ball out of defence to wide man Harry Outterside and he, in turn, delivered a testing ball into the box which Durham front-runner Jamie O’Brien bravely bundled over the line by getting across his defender and isolating Sam Harrison in the North Yorkshire goal.

Durham continued with their high tempo, pressing game and Jay Nicholson was unlucky to receive a yellow card as he prevented North Yorkshire striker Adam Walker from breaking away in the 6th minute.

Durham were in total control in these early stages as they moved the ball to all areas of the pitch and Reece Blakey had a great chance to extend Durham’s lead, but Harrison came quickly off his line to smother his shot and the recovering defenders cleared the danger. Luke Collins and Kyle Davidson were breaking up North Yorkshire possession and linking team play to good effect and it was against the run of play that North Yorkshire drew level. Alex Dyer capitalised on some slack Durham defending in the midfield area to play in Tom Scott who placed his shot low and wide past Owen Brown in the Durham goal to bring the score level. Durham quickly got over this setback with some slick combination play between Billy Hall and Outterside and the elusive Cieran Jackson lost his marker to cross for O’Brien to get his second and restore Durham’s lead on 28 minutes.  Blackbourne again showed excellent vision to feed Outterside down the right and Jackson provided the finish to extend their lead to 3-1. On 43 minutes Harrison made an excellent save to keep the score 3-1 as the half time whistle blew.

North Yorkshire brought the game to life when striker Tom Scott crossed for Walker to reduce the deficit within the first 5 minutes of the restart. They then went one better on 55 minutes to equalise with an excellent header from a corner. Despite Durham’s domination of the possession, the game was now delicately poised and chance after chance came and went, and on 75 minutes Durham had to defend a free kick conceded on the edge of their penalty area. Durham’s confident open play continued to get them into some good areas in the final third, but it seemed that time was going to be against them until they put an excellent move together and brought saves and goal-line clearances and it took the cool head of Jackson to dispatch the winning goal through a crowded goalmouth.

After the enforced lay-off it was good to get a win as Durham midfielder Luke Collins pointed out, ‘the result was the most important thing to take away from today and, luckily, we managed to do it. We move onto the next two games with the same focus.’

Durham U18s can go into their final two home league games on Saturday 17th and Monday 19th March with confidence as they try to finish their season with some success.


Owen Brown (Framwellgate School)

Jay Nicholson (East Durham College), Joe Blackbourne (Durham Johnston School), Brad Moncur

Harry Outterside (Gateshead College), Luke Collins (Harton Academy), Kyle Davidson (Darlington College), Billy Hall (St Bede’s RC, Lanchester), Reece Blakey (Harton Academy)

Cieran Jackson (SAFC Foundation, Shildon), Jamie O'Brien (QE 6th Form College, Darlington)

Substitutes used: Jonny Langley (Durham Johnston School), Sam Dawson (Durham 6th Form Centre), Fergus Hawes (Durham Johnston School), Callum Foster (Durham 6th Form Centre), James Thompson (Monkwearmouth Academy), Dane Eltringham

Scorers: Jamie O'Brien (2), Kieran Jackson (2)